No longer dealing with just heating and cooling, Insulators also reduce the passage of sound, air, smoke and fire. Insulators are needed on commercial, institutional and industrial projects as well as in residential construction.

Skills include: job task planning and organizing; oral communication; problem solving; working with others; the ability to work on scaffolding in high places; working with your hands and with machines; and working both indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather.

Although available certification is voluntary in Manitoba, it is highly recommended. Certification helps you get jobs by telling employers and other workers that you are a skilled professional.

To be certified as a Heat and Frost Insulator, you usually need to complete a four-year apprenticeship program. Once you successfully complete the required on-the-job training, technical training and exams, you are awarded a journeyperson certificate.

You may be eligible for certification if you have more than four years of on-the-job experience and some high school, college or industry courses in insulating.

As a certified Heat and Frost Insulator you may write the Interprovincial Exam to qualify for the Interprovincial Standards’ Red Seal. With a Red Seal, you can work as a Heat and Frost Insulator anywhere in Canada.

To ensure your skills are current as a Heat and Frost Insulator, you should keep up with new technologies by reading and by speaking with others in their field.